Why it is important to use SLS & paraben-free products?
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) - What exactly is it?
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate or SLS is a common detergent and foaming agent that is found in personal hygiene products like toothpaste, shampoos, soaps and likewise. Technically, it is a surfactant, a surface-acting reagent that has emulsifying properties.
What are Parabens?
Parabens are the various esters of Para-Hydroxy Benzoic Acid, collectively called Parabens. They are the preservatives widely used in personal care products such as shampoos, conditioners, shaving gels, moisturizers, toothpaste, body washes, hand washes, sunscreens and likewise, to increase the shelf-life of the products. These cost-effective preservatives are used for their antimicrobial properties to prevent the growth of fungus, bacteria and other microorganisms. They are readily absorbed into the human body through the skin and intestines.
Clearly, Paraben and SLS are harmful to your body as they are chemicals that harm you in one way or another. Let us tell you more -
7 Reasons To Switch To Paraben And Sulfate-free Products
Paraben and sulfate products are harmful and everybody should be aware of the reason. Simply put, they are toxic and can seep beyond the skin’s surface, which can cause health concerns.
We have listed seven reasons you should consider swapping your products for cleaner options if you want to reduce the number of chemicals in your beauty products.
- They are chemicals - Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) are surfactants and cleansing agents packed with foaming properties. They are most commonly found in shampoos and body washes and are responsible for stripping the scalp of moisture and natural oils.
- They contain preservatives - If methyl butyl-, ethyl-, and propyl parabens are the terms mentioned on your product’s ingredient list, then the product is surely packed with preservatives. These chemicals are used to prevent bacteria growth and increase a product’s shelf-life.
- They can cause irritation - Both paraben and sulfate-free products are known to strip the skin and scalp of moisture and natural oils. This can lead to dryness, inflammation, redness, and sensitivity. It is advised to choose paraben and sulfate-free products if you deal with sensitive or acne-prone skin, and even dandruff as they can worsen your skin conditions and allergies.
- They can lead to hormonal imbalance - There is evidence that these chemicals interfere with the normal hormone levels of the body. One of the studies stated a decreased menstrual cycle length in women with increased levels of parabens in their urine. Another study in the Environmental Health Perspectives stated that parabens act like estrogen in the body. Increased estrogen can cause both normal and cancerous breast cells to grow and divide.
- They can cause early signs of ageing - Many dermatologists and beauty experts are of the opinion that these chemicals and preservatives cause premature ageing. For example, methylparaben is a type of paraben that is responsible for collagen degradation and can cause cell depletion. To prevent yourself from early signs of ageing, you should only opt for paraben and sulfate-free products.
- They can cause hair loss - According to dermatologists, overuse of SLS damages the hair follicles which leads to hair that is dry and prone to easy breakage. Sulfates, which are strong surfactants, also mess with the hair protein causing weak hair cuticles and excessive hair fall.